Monday, June 14, 2010

KC/DC


Alrighty... I'm going to post something ASAP because if I don't, these images will forever be lost in the depths of my computer, then archives. And this was too cool of a trip to let that happen.

Laura and I just got back from our KC/DC trip. We flew to Kansas City where I ran half-marathon with Ben and Dad. We spent the weekend there with family... including a Royals game, then headed to Manhattan for a few days... where we spent a good chunk of the time buying me a car. Not quite the best way to spend vacation time, but it was a good deal and gives mom an excuse to come visit me. How else is the car going to get to Houma?

-Ben and I after the race



-The shirt I made and wore during the race



-The K



-The New Ride (a 2007 Nissan Murano)





After looking through my Kansas Photos, I realized a majority of them were of Nephew Alec. What can I say, the kid takes god photos. A TON more photos from the Kansas section of the trip can be seen here.

-Alec at the City Band Concert




-Laura at the Tuttle Creek Tubes



-Bob breaking into his own house



-Alec at a train station/burger joint in KC.



-Grandma, Alec and Ben on a lazy Sunday morning after Bagels and a long walk.



We left Manhattan on Wednesday and flew to Washington DC where we stayed with Laura's Aunt and Uncle just outside of the city. We played tourists most of the time. Trips to the majority of the monuments, Arlington National Cemetery, the Newseum and Holocaust Museum to name a few.

-Washington Monument at night



-Green door in Georgetown




-Photographer as part of a plaque at the WWII memorial



- Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers




-Bird at Arlington National Cemetery



But the DC portion was highlighted (in my opinion) by two afternoons. The first was a personal tour of the Pentagon by Laura's Uncle Pete... he works there. It was pretty darn neat to be walking the halls inside the Pentagon. It's a small city inside that thing, including a gift shop where I picked up a t-shirt. And can you believe they don't have a pentagon shaped coffee mug? That just seems too easy.

The next highlight was an afternoon with one of my mom's best friends Janet. She met us at the Eastern Market and treated us to a crabcake lunch. It was great catching up and having a local tour guide through the capitol, supreme court and Library of Congress. Janet showed us the way to Georgetown and dropped us off there. (where we enjoyed a self-guided tour of the university and an awesome oven baked pizza).

Again, a BUNCH more photos from the DC section of the trip can be seen here.

Big thanks go out to Mom (for driving my new car down to Louisiana) and to Aunt Mary, Uncle Pete and the three cousins Jacob, Matthew and Abby for being such great hosts and letting us take over the basement.

Now it's back to sauna-like heat and oil coverage.