Wednesday, May 26, 2010

They Just Don't Mix

Training for a half-marathon and covering an oil spill just don't mix.

I've been training to run a half-marathon on June 5. The last half-marathon I ran, nothing else was on my mind the weeks leading up to the race. Even my photography took a back seat to my running.

Now, the race is a little more than a week away, and running is kind of an afterthought. I'm still getting my runs in, but mentally, I'm just not ready to run a half-marathon. Hopefully that will change once I get my bib number and wake up the morning of the race.

However, the running has really helped me escape from all this oil. Even just a quick run gets my mind off work and into that "zone." Then I can get back to work.

So maybe those two mix better than I thought. Oil and water on the other hand...

Anyway, lets look at some photos. One of the big concerns right now is the lack of protection (boom) for Terrebonne Parish. Especially since oil has been found just a few miles south of Pointe-aux-Chenes. I went out with some local fishermen to see the oil coating the marsh grass. It's scary because the marshes are so important for this area and the oil looks as if it's coming from underwater. You can't see it on the surface, but it's showing up on the marsh grass.

Gilbert, Gayle and Russell make their way along the marsh looking at the oil-covered grass. They took a few samples back to show the other residents the oil that's just a few miles from their homes. Where they are in this photo isn't just some water near their house... it's where they make their living. The catch their shrimp there. They catch their oysters there. Their income is in this water. I can't begin to put my self in their shoes.





The majority of the residents in Pointe-aux-Chenes are native American and have been born and raised there. The live off the water, it's their way of life. So having it invaded by oil could force them to leave. They also have tribal burial grounds they want to protect. The grounds have already been invaded by salt water killing the trees, but oil just doesn't seem fair.




Today, 24,000 feet of boom arrived in Pointe-aux-Chenes. Much like the fisherman from a few weeks ago, these guys will deploy a fleet of boats to protect their land and water. Why hasn't it been boomed off before now? Good question. According to the the coast guard captain in charge "I guess I'm just slow and dumb." (By the way, he's been replaced. And the new guy says it has nothing to do with the comment.)




So cross your fingers, knock on wood.... whatever... that the oil stays out. Well, doesn't get any closer.